Good evening everyone,
A very happy New Year to you all.
Since the end of last season, there have been a number of initiatives and meetings to help develop junior cricket at all age groups, in East Devon.
It was felt that it was vital for the future of youth cricket, especially at Under 13’s to Under 15’s levels, for there to be more games and Sunday fixtures played.
We held a couple of meetings at Exeter CC which resulted in a number of important changes being proposed at the AGM which were:
- Replacing the league format with general cricket across a longer time span from May to September. There will be no published league tables
- Cup competitions will be remain and a shield competition introduced for sides losing in the first round
- Sunday cricket will be promoted and scheduled at the fixtures meeting on January 15. Sunday games will be open age games for like-minded clubs to play to a format that suits the ambition and capability of the players. This would mean that it would be possible for clubs to field a mix of age groups Including a couple of ‘seniors’ for example) so that everyone would get a game of cricket. This would be totally dependent on managers communicating well in advance of matches, so that each side was balanced and fair.
- When it came to organising fixtures (January 15th) there should be a concerted effort to play clubs that were geographically easily accessible.
- Clubs could borrow/ play other players from other clubs without any problem arising.
The Chairman of the East Devon Youth League, Dick Holifield, finished the meeting by saying that
“The next generation of young boys and girls coming to their local clubs will want a playing season that aligns with the whole of the summer including the school holidays.”
Planning for the 2020 season starts on January 15th with a fixture meeting at Ottery St Mary for knockout competitions, general age-group games and Sunday open-age matches. Bradninch will be there and we will be entering the following teams:
an U9 festival team
an U10s softball team
an U12s team
an U15s/ open age Sunday cricket – this would include U13’s/ U14’s/ U15’s/ U16’s etc.
As soon as I have the fixtures available, I will pass them by the Bradninch “officials” and I will confirm them in good time before the start of the season.
It occurred to me that it would also be sensible if I copied in all boys and girls (if they have an e-mail address and are OK with me doing that), so that they also can help plan around fixtures and events.