Established 1891

Darters arrow way into second successive final

The Club’s darts team fought their way to a 5-3 win on Friday to book themselves a place in the Cup final for the second successive year.

The club, who are current holders of the cup, faced the King’s Head Old Fogies in the Conservative Club in a nerve-jangling semi final. The King’s Head team, currently languishing at the foot of the league table, put in a performance that belied their league form. Drawn to play first was skipper Alan “Silky” Dowrick. Consistent play from both players saw the game go to 1-1. Despite “Silky” registering a 140, the deciding leg was won by King’s Head player Ryan Duckett who threw imperiously to check-out in only 12 darts. 0-1 down.

Second on was Bryn Jones, who showed one or two glimpses of returning to the form of halcyon days gone by. Getting away early in the first leg, Jones comfortably cruised into a 1-0 lead by nailing D19. Both got away first visit of the second leg as scores were matched throughout, but Jones got to the double first by taking out 86 in 3 darts to win 2-0. 1-1.

Jonny “the Finisher” Reed was up next, and continued his impressive form of late by cruising into a first leg lead. The most improved part of Jonny’s game has been his ability to hit the double to “get away”, and this form continued by getting away during his first visit of both legs. After sealing the first leg, Reed chased the doubles around the board somewhat before eventually hitting D1 to win the game 2-0. 2-1 in front.

“Cool Hand” Luke Wrightson was next on, but struggled to find the rhythm that has made him the most consistent player in the team this season. That being said, he had his opportunities to hit leg-winning doubles, but was unable to convert any, going down 0-2. 2-2.

In a hugely competitive fifth game, Gary “Gaz” Newall faced their strongest player Andy Tarn. Tarn won the first leg in 15 darts, but Gaz fought back, nailing D10 to take the game to 1-1 and a decider. Tarn then turned on the turbo as he took the leg wonderfully in just 11 darts. 2-3 down.

The pressure was on Jordan Rose in the final “Singles” game to deliver a win to take us into the “Doubles” level. After clinching the first leg comfortably, Jordan was unable to close out the second, and was looking down the barrel in the decider, when he just couldn’t get away. Once he did get away he was some 150 behind, but a succession of high scoring visits brought him right back in it, and after 3 missed match darts by his opponent, Jordan had D13 to seal a win and hit it with his last dart in hand to bring parity in the fixture. 3-3

The doubles.

Another appearance from Ross “First Dart” Acton in the first game of doubles, along with Gaz Newall, turned out to be a turgid affair. Acton, designated driver, struggled with nerves and the tension in the cauldron of the Conservative Club, but did enough to create Gaz the opportunities to hit the doubles, decisively double tops, winning 2-1. 4-3

Bryn and Jordan paired up for the next doubles, which if won, would be enough to seal victory. There was steady if not flashy scoring throughout, with plenty of “tidy” visits of around 60. The lads saw the game out relatively comfortably, Jones cleaning up 3 for victory 2-0. This meant an unassailable 5-3 lead negating the need for the final doubles game.

The team showed plenty of character to come back from 3-2 down to win 3 successive games considering a place in the final awaited the winner.

The final itself will take place on 29th April with the venue yet to be determined, but our opponents will be the Market Misfits, who currently sit 3rd in the league. This will be a challenging final, but our boys will defend the trophy with all they have got!

The next fixture is on Friday 26th February away in the Market House to the Misfits in the league. This will be a good chance to see what awaits in the cup final!

BCC darters
BCC darters